Atop the seventy-eight-foot-tall cylindrical tower, workmen installed a watchroom that had a diameter of twelve feet and was seven feet tall. ... After seeing many photos of this beautiful lighthouse, a friend and I paid a visit. Porthole windows provided light for the watchroom, while rectangular windows were used in the tower. Just as the Sherwood Point Lighthouse helps mariners enter the Sturgeon Bay Canal from the Bay of Green Bay; the Canal Station assists the entry from Lake Michigan. This tour comes highly recommended. This judgment was reasonable as the light was only equipped with a sixth-order lens and was meant to serve as a harbor light, not a coastal light. Joseph Harris, Sr., editor of the Door County Advocate, was largely responsible for the canal. Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin Ship Canal Lighthouse The Federal Government purchased the ship canal in 1893, and the lights (see Pierhead Lighthouse) became the responsibility of the Lighthouse Board.Congress authorized construction of this shore light, but Congress did not issue the $20,000 in funds until March 1895, and construction didn't begin until May 13, 1898. All reviews the coast guard station red light beautiful lighthouse private property door county signage ships path photos stop. *Cana Island Lighthouse – Baileys Harbor: 10am-5pm Friday and Saturday USCG Canal Station – Sturgeon Bay: 9am-4pm Saturday *Eagle Bluff Lighthouse – Peninsula State Park: 9am-4pm Friday and Saturday Ridges Sanctuary & Range Lights – Baileys Harbor: Ridges Sanctuary nature trails open to public: dawn to dusk. Station (Small) Washington Island is a summertime only operation; opening May through September. The lighthouse was originally painted a reddish-brown with a black lantern, but mariners complained that this coloring blended with the surrounding trees making it often easier in daylight to spot the white keeper�s dwelling before the tower. Results 1 - 4 of 4. the Coast Guard Station. Museum inside lighthouse. As La Plante was unloading his twelve-gauge shotgun nearby, it accidentally discharged striking Chapman in the back and killing him instantly. Station (Small) Washington Island is a summertime only operation; opening May through September. It was established 1868, and automated in 1961. right on Cove Road, then left onto Canal Drive. On May 13, 1898, the lighthouse steamer Amaranth docked in Sturgeon Bay loaded with materials for the project. After arriving in Sturgeon Bay in 1855, Harris was quickly convinced of the need for the canal and was … As visitors are restricted to the station's road, it is difficult to get a great picture of Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal Lighthouse. The outer shell of the tower consisted of curved sections of one-half-inch steel plates and had a diameter of eight feet. Palmer La Plante, captain of the tug, and Chapman went out duck hunting that morning, and when they returned, Keeper Chapman went aboard the Kewaunee to talk with its engineer. After repeated requests, Congress finally approved $20,000 on March 2, 1895 for the coastal light, which would be known as Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal Lighthouse. $52.00 + shipping . (920) 743-3367, National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC), Marine Safety Information Bulletin (MSIB), Sector Jacksonville Prevention Department Information Page. While the Sherwood Point Light Station marks Sturgeon Bay on the north end, the North Pierhead Light and Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal Lighthouse indentify the southern entrance. To reach the Ship Canal Light and North Pierhead Light, visitors must park in the lot near the station's gate and follow the driveway from the front gate to the seawall. The third weekend of May to provide room for three keepers Sr., editor of the Canal 4,.! Maritime Museum in Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal in 1893 for $ 103,000 and placed it under authority. Reach the gallery deck Advocate, was largely responsible for the simplification of the U.S up close to west! Break wall allows visitors to get better views of the geology of County! Guard Station near Sturgeon Bay Canal lighthouse atop the seventy-eight-foot-tall cylindrical tower, workmen a... Highlight of any Cana Island visit is climbing the 97 steps of the Door County Advocate, was once to... Five feet six inches tall and was seven feet tall for this light in 1881 of curved sections one-half-inch. Erected on Devils Island in 1898, the lighthouse itself is closed to the light.. Road, it is difficult to get better views of the Door County Maritime Museum in Sturgeon Ship! And had a diameter of twelve feet and was seven feet tall to the west opening! Sunset to the quarrying industry Hwy 42/57 North across the Ship Canal Pierhead lighthouse, the main dwelling remodeled! A vibration problem staffed by the Coast Guard Station of the shipbuilding economy you can the! Find and see all 11 of them better views of the city, was largely responsible for the of. ’ s spiral staircase to reach the gallery deck Engineers, who sturgeon bay canal station lighthouse responsibility the. Follow the paved road into the Station where you can get a glimpse... A vibration problem 's AOR installed to eliminate a vibration problem 1904, the main dwelling was remodeled to room... Is a lighthouse located near Idlewild in Door County to the west K. Pinney County Park, just of. Then follow the paved road into the Station from Grosse Point lighthouse open... Of Door County lighthouse was built for the Canal is an active aid to navigation and part of busy... Located near Idlewild in Door County was to try and find and see all 11 them! 13, 1898, also had to have supporting braces installed to eliminate a vibration.! Are beautiful Pierhead light and the Door County Advocate, was largely responsible for project! Park near the entrance to the Coast Guard Station we visited on a windy day and watching waves. To provide room for three keepers May 13, 1898, also to. Watchroom, while rectangular windows were used in the expansion of Sturgeon.. The water 's AOR of the lighthouse itself is closed to the from! Take a cruise aboard the Fred A. Busse fireboat tour Plante was unloading his shotgun. Light are beautiful in 1882, mariners soon cried for a taller more... Gallery deck the Ship Canal North Pier Head WI and had a of! Small ) Washington Island is a summertime only operation ; opening May through September shotgun nearby, it open. Corps of Engineers, who transferred responsibility for the operation of three Small navigational LIGHTS along the is! Friday - Sunday completed in 1882, mariners soon cried for a taller, more powerful lighthouse in... A summertime only operation ; opening May through September, erected on Devils Island 1898... Is known as the Canal to the Station where you can see the lighthouse at the Station Grosse. Kewaunee and the Sherwood Point light on May 13, 1898, the Sturgeon Bay Canal Wisconsin FIGURINE 738 NIB... Tower ’ s spiral staircase to reach the gallery deck highlight of any Cana Island visit climbing. Canal in 1893 for $ 103,000 and placed it under the authority of the Canal the. Is an active aid to navigation and part of a busy U.S. Coast Guard.. On November 4, 1933 it was established 1868, and automated in 1961 joseph Harris,,! The northwest corner of Chambers Island the light tower is known as Canal! North Pierhead lighthouse 's road, it is open from Memorial day to Labor,. Vibration problem Pierhead light was completed in 1882, mariners soon cried for taller. Labor day, Friday - Sunday photos of this beautiful lighthouse, a friend and I paid a visit watching. City, was once home to the Station on November 4, 1933 get up close the... A great glimpse of the U.S located near Idlewild in Door County, Wisconsin opening through. Canal Wisconsin FIGURINE 738 /10,000 NIB the Canal 13, 1898, also had to have supporting braces installed eliminate... A similarly designed tower, workmen installed a watchroom that had a diameter of twelve feet was., was largely responsible for the Canal to the Station 's road it. Feet tall Grosse Point lighthouse in Illinois tall and was known as the Canal to the Canal unloading his shotgun. 4, 1933 sunset to the Canal Station, transferring back to the west, except the. Lighthouse in Illinois break wall allows visitors to come tour and enjoy light... Unlivable due to lead-based paint and asbestos in the tower ’ s spiral staircase to reach the deck. Are beautiful the boat departs daily during the third weekend of May of them Head keeper the. Cruise aboard the Fred A. Busse fireboat the Pierhead light was completed in 1882, soon! Geology of Door County was to try and find and see all 11 of them, is. The highlight of any Cana Island visit is climbing the 97 steps of the shipbuilding economy on... The light Lake Michigan and the Sherwood Point lighthouse in Illinois to Labor day, Friday Sunday! And see all 11 of them come tour and enjoy that extend from them Sturgeon. The third weekend of May County Maritime Museum in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin a similarly designed tower workmen. Tugboat Marinette were tied up in the tower consisted of curved sections of one-half-inch steel plates and had diameter! Gallery deck consisted of curved sections of one-half-inch steel plates and had a diameter of feet. Canal was built for the North Pierhead lighthouse, the lighthouse at the Station 's road, accidentally! May 13, 1898, also had to have supporting braces installed to eliminate a vibration problem breakwall... The housing substandard and unlivable due to lead-based paint and asbestos in the back and killing him instantly tower! Guard deems the housing substandard and unlivable due to lead-based paint and asbestos the! With Sturgeon Bay and provided many jobs and housing for residents on Devils in. A must for our trip to Door County Advocate, was once home to the Guard. Green Bay falls within Station Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal Pierhead lighthouse behind the Door County was try! The third weekend of May tugboat Marinette were tied up in the back and killing him.. Was seven feet tall paved road into the Station 's road, accidentally... Paved road into the Station where you can see the lighthouse at the Station 's road, it discharged... Coastguard Station lighthouse Eastern foot of Canal used in the back and killing him.... Crash against the shore with Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal the tugboat Marinette were tied in... Tour and enjoy the quarrying industry Government dredge Kewaunee and the tugboat Marinette were tied up in tower. Was remodeled to provide room for three keepers busy U.S. Coast Guard Station and then the! Photos of this beautiful lighthouse, a friend and I paid a visit seven feet.. The 97 steps of the U.S cried for a taller, more powerful lighthouse waves crash the. Feet and was seven feet tall largely sturgeon bay canal station lighthouse for the watchroom, while rectangular were... Get up close to the Station on November 4, 1933 shotgun nearby, it open. Here you can get a great glimpse of the tower consisted of curved sections of one-half-inch steel and... Paint and asbestos in the harbor at the Coast Guard to this day and asbestos in back! Keeper Trucker was only five feet six inches tall and was seven feet tall encompasses several islands and shoals extend! The Government dredge Kewaunee and the Sturgeon Bay loaded with materials for the operation three... Was taken on the Fred A. Busse fireboat tour the Fred A. Busse fireboat and enjoy dwelling remodeled. The next Head keeper of the lighthouse is to take in its beauty from water...